Fall Risk Factor Visual Brainstorming Activity
Developed by Saskatchewan Health Authority- Saskatoon area.
This activity can be used with staff members. Create a visual aid using Bristol board or chart paper and brainstorm with your group the various risk factors for falls. Have your group write the risk factors on the visual aid. Discuss potential interventions/tips on how to lower the risk of falls. Post the visual aid in a visible area and add to it regularly during Fall Prevention Month.
Cost: Minimal costs for Bristol board or chart paper.
Timeline: 10 minutes to an hour or ongoing by encouraging people to add throughout the month.
Suggested Action Steps to Host Activities
These are the steps to consider in planning, implementing and evaluating your social activities and games:
Action Step 1: Planning
- Read and understand more about the activity you have selected among the options above.
- Determine who you are targeting for your activity (level of cognition, diversity of the participants, inclusivity, etc.).
- Where will be the setting of the activity? Who do you think will attend? What are the resources required? Can you partner with other organizations for greater impact?
Action Step 2: Promotional outreach and education
- Start to plan your activity by designing promotional flyers/materials to recruit participants. Distribute your materials through proper channels (eg. community newspapers, homes, community centres and other community settings where adults and older adults gather).
- Consider how you will manage the participants recruited. Do you have space/material limitations? Will you need to limit the number of participants for this activities and perhaps have people sign up in advance? Is there enough interest to host multiple events?
- Implement your activity as planned.
Action Step 3: Evaluation
- You can evaluate your activities by counting the number of handouts you gave, or how many people attended, or how many contact you gained from the event.
- You can also distribute a questionnaire to measure the level of satisfaction with the activity. See participant evaluation template HERE to customize.