Developed by Saskatchewan Health Authority- Saskatoon area.
Search for words related to the risk factors for falls in this word search puzzle. Take this opportunity to start a conversation about fall prevention, risk factors and what can be done to reduce the risk of falling.
This can be done individually or with a group in the form of a contest to see who can complete this first. It is great to spark conversation of all the risk factors for falls there are. If you are attending and event use this as an give away or use as part of your fall prevention display.
Cost: Printing costs associated with printing the word search puzzle
Timeline: Can take up to one hour to complete.
Suggested Action Steps to Host Activities
These are the steps to consider in planning, implementing and evaluating your social activities and games:
Action Step 1: Planning
- Read and understand more about the activity you have selected among the options above.
- Determine who you are targeting for your activity (level of cognition, diversity of the participants, inclusivity, etc.).
- Where will be the setting of the activity? Who do you think will attend? What are the resources required? Can you partner with other organizations for greater impact?
Action Step 2: Promotional outreach and education
- Start to plan your activity by designing promotional flyers/materials to recruit participants. Distribute your materials through proper channels (eg. community newspapers, homes, community centres and other community settings where adults and older adults gather).
- Consider how you will manage the participants recruited. Do you have space/material limitations? Will you need to limit the number of participants for this activities and perhaps have people sign up in advance? Is there enough interest to host multiple events?
- Implement your activity as planned.
Action Step 3: Evaluation
- You can evaluate your activities by counting the number of handouts you gave, or how many people attended, or how many contact you gained from the event.
- You can also distribute a questionnaire to measure the level of satisfaction with the activity. See participant evaluation template HERE to customize.
Running this activity in a virtual setting:
Promote This Activity Online
You can share and promote an activity through social media posts and/or email.
- If you’re sharing a social media post to promote your activity, follow best practices like using shorter captions, quality images, hashtags and a clear call-to-action.
- If you’re emailing to promote your activity, make sure your email is thorough on what the activity is about and how people can register for it. You can use free tools like Canva to customize its design.