Take the #FallProofYourHome Challenge
Work with community partners to host show-and-tells of how to address key safety hazards in the home for children ages 0-6.
Organization/Sponsor Contact: Stephanie Cowle, Parachute (email@example.com)
Type of Activity: Education, demonstration
Target Audience: Parents and/or Caregivers, Community Leaders
Costs: There are printing costs associated with this activity
Timeline for Activity: Can be completed in an hour or less
Steps and Materials for the Activities
- Invite local police officers, firefighters and political staff of the Mayor’s office who have small children at home and encourage them to take the challenge.
- Where possible, create a media event by recruiting a volunteer local celebrity who has children in the target range (infant to four years old) to go through their home with media in attendance to assess the home via the checklist. This could be done immediately prior to the community event and then the celebrity could speak to the checklist in action to the community members present.
- Hand out the #FallProofYourHome Checklist and explain what to look for in the home to prevent harm from children’s falls.
- Provide event participants with the Parent Tips to Prevent Child Falls for information on how to keep kids safe from falls in the home and at play.
Parent Tips to Prevent Child Falls
- Have kids colour the colouring sheets.
- Encourage participants, once they’ve completed the #FallProofYourHome Challenge, to share it on social media. Get creative with your selfies and encourage your children to join in.
Original material provided by Parachute.