Public Education Presentation
This Education Presentation can be used by practitioners when presenting fall prevention information to the public. The purpose of the presentation is on maintaining your independence and mobility by finding balance and preventing a fall before it happens.
Organization/Sponsor Contact: Finding Balance Alberta (email@example.com)
Type of Activity: Education Presentation
Target Audience: Practitioners/health professionals and older adults
Costs: Printing costs to print the presentation and relevant materials
Timeline for Activity: May vary depending on how many people are involved and in which setting the activity takes place.
Materials, resources and people needed for the activity:
Suggested handouts to support the presentation:
Resources that can be ordered from the Finding Balance website at: http://www.findingbalancealberta.ca :
- Finding Balance Brochures (contact IPC to order more);
- Falls Risk Self-Assessment Checklist – PAMPHLET and a POSTER (contact IPC to order more);
- 3 Key Messages (Keep Active, Review Your Medication, Have Your Vision Checked) - POSTER
Resources that can be downloaded from the Finding Balance website at: http://www.findingbalancealberta.ca :
- How to Get Up from the Floor – English (also available in 13 different languages including English, French, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Korean, Polish, Punjabi, Russian, Serbian Croatian, Spanish, Tagalog, Urdu, Vietnamese);
- Everyday Exercises for Strength and Balance Poster; Info-graphic;
- Information sheets on Keep Active ,
- Have your Vision Checked and Review Your Medication;
- Foot Wear Foot Care Tips for Seniors; Ideal shoe;
- Getting a Good Night’s Sleep;
- Getting Around in Your Community;
- Getting Around In Your Home;
- Walking in Winter;
My MedRec Booklet (download the free app from www.knowledgeisthebestmedicine) Printed booklets no longer available (Cited: October 4, 2016)
NOTE: Check with venue presenting at, such as Seniors Centre/Lodges, regarding activities offered and procedures for what to do if a fall occurs
Running this activity in a virtual setting:
Host a Webinar
- You can host, schedule and record meetings with tools like Zoom and Google Meet which people can access from various devices. These tools also allow you to share your screen and have a real-time group chat with your attendees.
- Invite people to the webinar. Set up an event on Eventbrite and promote it through email and social media posts on platforms like Facebook or LinkedIn.
- Once people register for your event, you can send them a link to any materials they may need prior to it through email.
Promote This Activity Online
You can share and promote an activity through social media posts and/or email.
- If you’re sharing a social media post to promote your activity, follow best practices like using shorter captions, quality images, hashtags and a clear call-to-action.
- If you’re emailing to promote your activity, make sure your email is thorough on what the activity is about and how people can register for it. You can use free tools like Canva to customize its design.